What to expect
…and the rules of the house
Before you make a reservation it would be wise to read the following so that you know what to expect when you come here. We try to make our guests as happy as possible but we are not able to offer all the comforts that some might wish for. Below is a list of things we offer and things that we do not.
What to expect
- Clean but basic beach style accommodation
- An en suite bathroom with hot water shower
- A quite, cool and shaded resort in which to relax and enjoy nature
- Each room has a balcony with a Sea View, the exception being the Garden View Chalets
- Snorkeling just off the beach! Our house reef is a great place to explore and you can rent good quality snorkeling equipment from us at RM20 per day, per set.
- We can arrange boat trips for snorkeling to Coral Island, Monkey bay, Mukut Waterfall, Soyak Island and more. These can be arranged when you are here. Please check our article on snorkeling, click here for more info.
- We have a water filter machine in our reception and we invite all our guests to fill up their water bottles and drink as much water as they like, at no extra charge.
- We offer free tea and coffee in the reception, available to our guests 24hrs a day, just help yourself!
- We have a drinks fridge in our reception, where guests are invited to help themselves and write up their own tabs on a board. You can pay for your tab at the end of your stay.
- We have a Freediving/Apnea School with a beachside classroom, called Freedive Tioman. The offer cerified freediving courses for beginners and advanced students, coaching and fun dives. email them on email@example.com for info
- We have a Scuba Dive Centre based at our resort called Tioman Dive Centre who are well equipped to handle all your scuba diving needs, but you will need to book your diving with them as they tend to fill up quite quickly
- We have a safe where we can store your valuables such as Passports and cash if you need.
- We have a small collection of books in various languages, you are welcome to borrow any of the books but if you would like to take a book home with you, please ask us first. Also we welcome any books that people want to add to the collection.
- Free and friendly advice on what to do and where to go and how to get there when you are here.
- Free Wifi connection available in the reception.
- A simple breakfast is included in the price of the rooms. The breakfast is served as a set menu but changes everyday, for example one day Scrambled Eggs, next day Fruit Salad. If you would like to order something different then what is on offer that day, we will just charge RM8 per person to your bill. What we offer is listed below, but we are limited as to what is available at the local grocer.
Scrambled Eggs served with toast and Jam
Fruit Salad and Oats (porridge)
Fried Egg and sausage served with toast and Jam
Banana Pancake served with honey
Tomato herb & Cheese Omelette served with toast and Jam
Roti Canai ( a traditional Malaysian breakfast )
What NOT to expect
- Television, there is not 1 single TV at the resort but if you would like to watch a DVD on your Laptop you are more then welcome to borrow one from us, we have loads!
- Room Service, turn down service
- Guest Laundry Service, there is a Shop that does laundry down the road from us
- Swimming pool, gym and suana
- Daily room cleaning. We provide room cleaning every 3 days, to guests that are staying 4 nights or more. If you would like your room cleaned everyday we can do this for you at an extra charge of RM15 per room, per day.
- A buffet breakfast, with an amazing variety of food that caters for every diet and taste. We are a small Island resort and are somewhat restricted by budget and what ingredients are available on the island.
- An insect free zone. We are located in the tropics and it is not uncommon to find mosquito’s, ants, flys and various other types of insects. Guests are advised to bring Mosquito lotion or spray and to apply this just before sunset or after showering. Antihistamine is recommended for those who have allergic reactions to mosquito bites.
- An all inclusive package offering all meals, accommodation, transport, snorkeling trips included in the price. We cater more to the independent traveler.
- An Airport or Jetty pick up service. The local islanders offer a taxi service and can bring you to Swiss Cottage at a cost of RM5 per person minimum 2 people. When you arrive at the Jetty just ask for Budin and he will arrange the taxi for you.
The House Rules
- Please be considerate of your neighbors and keep noise levels down, especially at night and early in the morning.
- No smoking in the rooms
- No mosquito coils in the rooms
- No shoes in the rooms or reception area
- No fires on the beach in front of Swiss Cottage
- Please do not feed the cats, we feed our animals healthy food twice a day.
- Please do not let the cats in your room.